Monday, September 22, 2008

Welcome, Fall

So, today is officially the first day of Fall. How wonderful. The mornings have been quite chilly lately, and more and more leaves are falling from the trees and covering the ground. Today is the first day that I am actually wearing a sweater! I love when I go from wearing tank tops and t-shirts to long-sleeve shirts, sweaters, and jackets. I've always loved Fall clothing.

We were putting out some more Fall/Halloween decorations last night in our living room. We bought one of those animated ceramic figurines from the 'Spooky Town' collection at Michael's, and put it on top of an antique piece of furniture. It's called the Full Moon Apothecary, and it makes spooky sounds and plays an eerie tune, while a green witch flies over the rooftop making an evil cackle. It's too cool. Then, we draped a Fall garland with leaves and corn husks all around it. We put some other things on some of the other furniture, too. I'd like to go back to Micheal's and get one or two more of the 'Spooky Town' figurines while they're on sale. I still have quite a bit more I'd love to do, but don't know if I'll actually get around to it all. I started to put some multi-colored Halloween lights outside around our doorway last night. I also finally found a carving pattern kit that I liked, and I plan to begin carving two of my foam pumpkins this week. If all goes as planned, I hope to have them done by the weekend. I'd like to grab a few more of them since they're on sale, too. I always carve a few real pumpkins, but I wait until a few days before Halloween. I like to enjoy the wonderful smell of a candlelit jack-o-lantern as long as I can, which isn't very long, unfortunately. At least I also have Thanksgiving to look forward to, though. Awhile back, I found a turkey pattern, and I carved a pumpkin with it once. It was one of the most difficult patterns I ever did, but it looked fantastic! I had never thought of having a jack-o-lantern on our Thanksgiving table, but it added so much to the decor. In fact, it was everyone's favorite. No one could believe it was a real pumpkin, or that I had done the carving. At least it gives me a chance to enjoy having a jack-o-lantern around for a little while longer once Halloween is over.

No comments: