Saturday, October 4, 2008

An October Saturday

Today was a nice way to spend an early October Saturday. It rained a little on and off all day, and the cool, damp weather is so crisp and refreshing. It feels great. I've had the back door, and several bedroom windows, open all day. I look out at the back deck and notice how many dead leaves already cover it. When I walked down to the barn to feed the horse and get the newspaper early this morning, it was so over cast and misty that it seemed like winter. I looked down the windy street towards the houses on the hills in the distance, and I thought of how soon the holidays would be here, and how those hills would be glowing with Christmas lights. It's such a beautiful sight. It always seems strange to me when the holidays finally come around again. It's hard to believe that a whole year has already gone by. Aside from all the chores and errands that I did today, I also made some Halloween cookies. I got some ghost, cat, and pumpkin cookie cutters a month or so ago, and I finally got around to using them. I got some orange frosting and black icing and made little jack-o-lantern cookies. It was a pretty nice day to enjoy the wonderful October weather, and relax and do some fun, Halloween-related activities. I think tonight I will start carving my other foam pumpkin. One of my favorite Halloween movies is coming on soon, and what better way to get into the Halloween spirit than carving a pumpkin while watching a Halloween movie?? There is almost nothing better than that. :)

7 comments:

Drop Gallow said...

I have to say, I love reading this blog. I spend too much time looking at Halloween pics and watching Halloween videos. It's refreshing to read someone's descriptions of what the season means to them. Putting pen to paper (or fingertips to keys) always takes you deeper into an emotion, deeper into your life, into your soul.
Lovely, lovely blog.

Grim said...

So I have to know... what movie was it? I always find myself reading about movies people watch then put them on my Netflix list. I'm getting ready to watch "The Haunting" from 1963 right now as I lay down to go to sleep. Guess I'll finish it later if I doze off (which is another thing I do often, start watching a movie and fall asleep about halfway through). Makes for some interesting dreams.

Tisha Leigh said...

Thank you, drop gallow. It's nice to know someone enjoys reading my ramblings! *grin* Yes, this season always brings something out in me; something I can't quite explain. It sounds like you have some idea of what I mean, though. It's nice to know that someone understands. I have always loved Fall. It's like it touches me somehow. It's almost a spiritual thing for me, I think. When I wrote about how I looked out through the mist and fog at the hills and houses in the distance, I stopped for a second to really take a good look, and I was standing in the middle of the road. Our development is normally really quiet early in the mornings, and there is very little traffic, so I was able to stand there and take it all in for a moment. I just couldn't help but think of how peaceful and beautiful it was. I wish I could have photographed it. It was almost ethereal.

Tisha Leigh said...

Grim,

Oh, I'm a little embarrassed to admit what movie it was! LOL It was a Disney movie, and is more aimed at kids, but I love it anyway. (I guess I'm a kid at heart, since I love Halloween like a kid!) It was 'Return to Halloweentown'. Have you seen the first 'Halloweentown' movies with Debbie Reynolds? I know, they're not anything spectacular or scary, but I love the look of Halloweentown. I'd love to live there. I just think they're cute movies.

Tisha Leigh said...

Hey, can I ask you guys how you have your blogs set up? I like how you put your pictures where people can comment on them next to your blogs. I can't figure out how to set mine up that way. I can only figure out how to put my pics at the bottom of my blogs. Do you know what I mean??

Grim said...

I haven't seen either of those movies before, might have to check them out sometime. All I do to put pictures on my blog is when I am typing a new blog, right above the part you type on is the row of icons for using bold, italics, etc. the second to last one over is "add image", it looks like a little picture. Click that and then browse for wherever the picture is saved in your computer then upload it. If I am using pictures off of another website I usually save them to my desktop so they are easy to find.

Tisha Leigh said...

I think I figured it out! Thanks, Grim! :)